aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Re: Do NOT use "Hermit Crab Sand"

Post by aries »

Thank you for resplying emmac350. That stuff does last forever, my bag lasted a few years because it just doesn't take much. They do like the egg shells given from boiled eggs and next time I will just put a section of the shell in instead of crushing it up so they can break it up themselves. Seems they like that.
1 PP Athena
Niko
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 35
Total gallons: 150
Total tanks: 4

Post by Niko »

Calci-sand is expensive, my LHC dont't like it and have difficulties to catch fine grains.

Eggs ans oysters shells (but also snails and other molluscs shells) are cheap, easy to grind (pestal and mortar, coffe grinder, or with a bag and a hammer) and they really like it. A very good thing for molting LHC, as it's nearly pure calcium with marine oligo-elements wich are not available in calci-sand.

It can be also mixed to normal sand (as in beaches) or give to LHC in a dish.
Niko.

To crab or not to crab.....crab!

My Board dedicated to LHC (in french) : http://coenobita.xooit.com/index.php
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Hi Niko. I didn't think about the little guys not being able to eat it. I threw the calci out anyway and until I can get to the store they are all getting egg shells. They are liking them and actually hang out at that dish now instead of ignoring it. I'm going to get oyster shell and try it ground up as soon as I can get out to get some.
1 PP Athena
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

Hi Aries. You can try oyster, mussel, winkle, murex, clams....and all the marines gasteropods/molluscs shells, LHC like them. Some shells can be hard to grind with coffe grinder ou pestel, so the better way is to put them in a bag and crunch them with a hammer until it's nearly a powder. Powder is the good thing as LHC have no difficulties to eat it.
Niko.

aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

I would use the hammer method since the mortar is so hard on my hands and I don't have any electric way to do it. I agree that the powder would probably be best when it comes to those types of shells. Thank you for refering me to the other types of shells that could be used. I know that coral can be used as well and used to have a beautiful piece I kept in my large tank until someone stole it. Was really expensive and won't do that again.
1 PP Athena
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

The shells i refered are just the begining of a very long liste, virtually all shells can be used, but only the easiest to crunch are fully usefull.
Niko.

aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Niko, thank you very much. Seems I have been away forever and many things have been learned since I was here last.
1 PP Athena
Niko
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Niko »

You're welcome ;)
Niko.

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

You can also just put the shells in your tank and let the crabs scrape them for the calcium. That's what they do in the wild; I had a ton of shells (mostly half-broken conch shells) from the beach and I boiled them to clean and used them in and around my water bowls a few tank setups ago to keep the crabs from digging between them. The crabs can scrape pieces off of the shell to get the minerals in them just like they do in the wild.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

That's a nice idea to emma. I have issues with digging between the dishes. I have some shells around them but haven't noticed them scraping them. Will have to keep a better eye out to see if they are doing it.
1 PP Athena