HermitsLife
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Living on the Roof

Post by HermitsLife »

I moved my 2 medium crabs from a 20 L to a 10 gallon about 3 weeks ago. It was my intention to move them right back into the 20L but I cracked it while cleaning and haven't replaced it yet. I put new sand that I had purchased online in the 10 gal. I have always purchased my sand there. This time though, the crabs will not stay on or dig in the sand. They both stay perched on top of a house in the tank. Right now I have about 8 inches of sand and some of the same deco that was in their previous habitat. They come down to eat and they actually inverted a coco hut and once in a while they will sit in that. Otherwise, they stay on top of the house day and night.

I'm sure there is a reason why they are doing this and my first thought is that maybe something is wrong with the sand. I asked the sellers if something could be wrong and they said no. Is there a way to tell if the sand is ok? Or do you have any other thoughts why they would now be doing this strange thing? I have had them about 3 years with no major problems.
HermitsLife
Zygote
Zygote

Re: Living on the Roof

Post by HermitsLife »

Actually I meant to post this in the bedding substrate category. Sorry.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I moved the topic for you. What kind of sand are you using?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
HermitsLife
Zygote
Zygote

Post by HermitsLife »

Thank you for moving my post. I am using a premixed substrate sold by Hermit Crab Patch. I've used this for the entire time I've had them with no prior issues. Thanks
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

What type of substrate is in the "premix"? Have the crabs just been acting this way since you moved them from the one tank to the other? Or have they been acting this way the whole time with this substrate?

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

I pretty sure this is what HermitsLife is talking about: Pre-mixed substrate
It says that it uses Florida sand, maybe that could be the problem since it comes from the "wild"...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The substrate looks fine, so maybe it's just the shock of the move from one tank to the other. Give them a little time to destress and you should be all right. Maybe offer them some tempting foods (shrimp works well in my tank) and see if that helps.

Are you using any new air fresheners, candles, perfumes, etc.?

Mommy to:

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Did you preheat the substrate any? Substrate that is put straight in the tank can be quite cool and a bit of a shock to hermies.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
HermitsLife
Zygote
Zygote

Post by HermitsLife »

Sorry I have been so busy but still concerned about my crabbies. Yes it is sold premixed and they have always been active and seemingly happy, Ive used this premix since I've had them and it's worked great. I did not heat it so maybe the change was a shock to them from which they have never recovered. The temp/humidity in the tank is normal.But they are no longer thriving so I am going to move them back to a bigger tank and try some new substrate. I have never made my own substrate so any tips are welcome. I am very concerned that they no longer are active.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

What is the temperature in your tank? Warmest/coolest/substrate? I find that my crabs aren't active much until the temperature is in the high 70s or low 80s. How do you heat the tank?

Mommy to: