appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

My hermits have made a sort of ant nest

Post by appps »

Not sure where to put this but made an interesting discovery yesterday.

I know the hermies burrow etc but I'm finding they are making tunnels which have nothing to do with moulting but are more just a home a bit like an ants nest.

I have an ongoing saga with a waterfall I bought for my tank. Last attempt to get it to work had it sitting on a broken paver buried in the substrate so I knew it was level. Well yesterday I lifted the waterfall out to replace the pump and discovered they have built a rather roomy room under it in the coconut fibre with an open entrance at the back of the tank. They have removed a whole cavern of coconut fibre and by the look of it just go in and out. When I lifted their roof which was the fountain it was for all the world like looking at a giant ants nest cavern.

I had noticed they have certain holes in the sand that seem to stay open all the time but I'm now wondering if these also are actually entrances to underground maze of permanent hidey holes.

Anyone else found this too?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: My hermits have made a sort of ant nest

Post by Ginger »

I think I change around my tank too often for my crabs to do that, however the big guys sit eye level when resting with a black strip (it's a joint for the tank) the whole perimeter of the tank, so they always dig ditches against the glass so they can look out. It's pretty funny actually :)