Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 335
Total tanks: 3

Where to get a large bag of safe Hermit sand

Post by FeltonandPhelps »

Hi,
I'm a new Hermit Crab carer, and quite inexperienced. I've had my three beautiful Hermits for 1 or 2 Months now, and they're currently living in a 25 gallon tank. At my home, we also used to have Turtle in a massive 300 Gallon tank (As far as I can tell, I'm not too good with numbers.).
Now that our turtle, Zen, is gone, I had an amazing idea that I've been fantasizing about for quite some time; how amazing the turtle tank would be for my Hermit Crabs. Like a Hermit (Excuse the pun.) Paradise.

While this idea is going to take quite a lot of time and patience, I first just really need to know if anyone knows where to get a large bag of safe Hermit sand. Or, at-least a bag big enough to cover the base of a 4ft width, 2ft length tank. That also has a small second story.
I really don't want to risk play sand (Which my Hermits are already unfortunately living in.) or sand from outside or the beach.

Thanks,
FeltonandPhelps.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Where to get a large bag of safe Hermit sand

Post by emmac350 »

You can try aquarium sand in that section of your pet store (or a specialty aquarium store in your area). Unfortunately, I doubt if anything will be too cost-effective. Your best bet will be either all eco-earth (coconut fiber) or a mix of the fiber and your existing sand. The coconut fiber is usually much cheaper than sand, is sold in bricks, and if expanded with your ocean water mix (even a less-salty version will work for expanding) shouldn't have any issues with mold. Bonus - it holds humidity amazingly and my crabs all seem to love it. They molted in coconut fiber when it was only in the upper levels (as opposed to the rest of the tank that was full of sand...>.>).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Hi there,
As a follow-up from emmac350, I know that in Australia you can get packagse of 3 coco-fibre bricks, which is much cheaper than singles. Also, a lot of second-hand crab gear is sold on local ads, and you can find some great unused stuff on there!

Ginger.
FeltonandPhelps
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 335

Post by FeltonandPhelps »

Thank you so much, emmac350 and Ginger, I really like the idea of this coconut fibre brick and I'll definitely search for some in the local areas, or look online :)

Thanks again,
FeltonandPhelps.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I can't see where you are from on the mobile site but if Australia I've used the clean play sand bags from bunnings for a few years now.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Apologies for continuing on this old post, but I have a question for you appps, do you use this?: http://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-20kg ... d_p3022506

If so, do you wash/bake it to be sure, or do you use it straight? If not, could you please tell me what you use, and do you wash/bake it?
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32

Post by StarJohn »

That is the sand I have been using from Bunnings Ginger for the last 4 months. I tested it with a magnet for metal filings but it came out clean. I cleaned it in the dechlorinated water and then baked it in the sun on a hot day in shallow trays.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Yep that's the one. I'm afraid I'm super slack. After trying to do the whole sand in the oven thing once and it being a miserable fail I just used it straight (yes I know, shoot me now )
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Ok thanks StarJohn and appps! Although - appps - maybe we should shoot eachother, because I am like that too! XD I have SO much sand to put into the tank, and it would take hours and hours to bake the sand, in the oven, so I just do what you do StarJohn - I bake it in the sun in shallow trays.

This may be a very silly question, but when washing sand, wouldn't it just all swirl up in the bucket and float out? I did a trial the other day (with the hose) and that's exactly what happened. I don't know if there is some trick to it, or maybe I'm doing it all wrong!?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Ginger wrote:Ok thanks StarJohn and appps! Although - appps - maybe we should shoot eachother, because I am like that too! XD I have SO much sand to put into the tank, and it would take hours and hours to bake the sand, in the oven, so I just do what you do StarJohn - I bake it in the sun in shallow trays.

This may be a very silly question, but when washing sand, wouldn't it just all swirl up in the bucket and float out? I did a trial the other day (with the hose) and that's exactly what happened. I don't know if there is some trick to it, or maybe I'm doing it all wrong!?
When washing the sand, most will float out. These are the "dust", however the large grains of sand will stay at the bottom. IDK if you have a sand bottom on your fish tank, but it is a similar idea. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.