emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Won't climb, encouragement?

Post by emmac350 »

Hope it helps - stop on back if you have any more issues...glad to be a bit helpful!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Ginger wrote:Thank-you Aussie, I LOVE my tank too! Especially with the doors it makes everything a ton easier, and encourages me to do all the chores haha :)
I would love to get a tank like yours! Does the glass hold well, I heard that the bottom pane isn't meant to support a deep depth of substrate...
(Also, how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

This tank was designed as a vivarium, and the base is meant to hold water, then all panels above the base are manually put in (it comes as a flat-pack). Yes, it holds very well! I specially built the cabinte it is on to hold its weight, and my Dad can jump up and down on it without any problems :) The cost was expensive.... I got the tank as my only birthday present, it was about $250.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Ginger wrote:This tank was designed as a vivarium, and the base is meant to hold water, then all panels above the base are manually put in (it comes as a flat-pack). Yes, it holds very well! I specially built the cabinte it is on to hold its weight, and my Dad can jump up and down on it without any problems :) The cost was expensive.... I got the tank as my only birthday present, it was about $250.
OK, However with wet sand and a layer of 6 inches, it will add up. I know that these tanks can hold a bit of water, however everyone I asked always say not to use them as a hermie tank as the glass is thin. Glad to know that these type of tanks are useable! :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Well... I had never heard THAT! So I'm glad that mine works lol relief. ;)
Jerzeecrabz
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 22

Post by Jerzeecrabz »

It’s 2019 and I’m having the same issue. I have 4 crabs and they are all different in size but none will climb anything I’ve given them. Next paycheck I’m going to grab cholla wood and a soap dish that’ll hold the food up on top rather than on the ground. They barely come out at all but only at night period. Most pictures I see are in daylight....any thoughts and suggestions on how to encourage anything different behavior wise? Thanks y’all!
Sunrisepets
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

Post by Sunrisepets »

Mine won’t climb either and even IF he tries he always falls and doesn’t get far because he is large