Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Won't climb, encouragement?

Post by Ginger »

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post the topic, it would be great to have a behaviour section!

My large crabs are still quite timid, and it's changeover time tomorrow... I've noticed that they are happy to climb up on top of the resin halflog, but only the most adventurous will climb up to the second storeys... So I thought I could put the driftwood on the substrate as a start, and then gradually increase the angle to get them used to climbing again...

Just a thought. Any others?
Thanks! Ginger.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Won't climb, encouragement?

Post by Wai »

Mine climb a LOT more during the warmer months of the year. Not sure what you can do to make them climb more, but rearranging the tank every now and then might get them curious and explore around.
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Have you got a photo of your tank so we can see what it looks like to get up to the second storey?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Ok, here is a pic of my tank... So they have (starting from left) the net, the fake leafy plant, the vine, two pieces of very gnarled driftwood and the rock background.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

They shouldn't be having any trouble climbing that. It's perfect for climbing. I'd put it down to not wanting to for reasons that would only make sense to a crab lol not can't.

I'd just give them time.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Your tank looks good, is there anyway to get any vines or such to put in the more opened area in the middle to encourage them to come out a little more with the sheltering?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

yes, I will try that suggestion ladybug, thankyou!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I've also found that having certain items only in places that require climbing will help them out. So my food bowl is in an upper level (helps with me changing out the food) and the empty shells are also on their own in another upper level. It forces the crabs to explore a little, and they definitely stay all over my chollas, as depicted in quite a few posts on the daily hermit...
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Like emmac350, when i had my food bowl & shells on the second level my hermies always use to climb. Now that i have a shell shop & the food is on the ground, they rarely climb, unless it is a quick stop at the shell shop.
Adding some interesting things - like food, shells, cuttlefish bones ect.. - will increase the crabs "exploring" range. Another thing I noted was that I "managed to get my crab to climb" by placing some scented food like fish & fruit so they get curious and excited by smell.

BTW, I'm really liking the tank pic, Ginger. XD
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thankyou for all the suggestions, especially yours emmac350, I will definitely try that, and will keep updated. Thank-you Aussie, I LOVE my tank too! Especially with the doors it makes everything a ton easier, and encourages me to do all the chores haha :)