Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 18
Total tanks: 1

New Crab Daddy setting up new home

Post by Malikai »

Hello,
I hope this forum is still active, as I am an new 'cribbity' (as my spouse calls them) dad. First let me apologize if I've over looked the answer to this and if it's in the wrong form space. I would like to spice up my crabitat as well as give them something to climb on.

My questions are these:
  • Are the plastic items you find for fish aquariums safe for crabs, such as the little castles or open treasure chest or hiding tubes, etc. if not, what are some safe substitutes?
  • I located a pretty extensive list of edibles for them, and I was wondering if leaf items that are on the list like parsley or cilantro are safe for them to eat if it's from the grocery store spice aisle or does it have to be the fresh leaf variety?
Thank you very much in advance for taking the time out to read and answer my question.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: New Crab Daddy setting up new home

Post by babesbarn »

Hello, I do not know if you are still working at your Crabbies or not. Some people come this forum and write sparsely like me. I have a journal and if you look at the "Journals" you will see many trial and error writings from the forum participants. I have been here since August 2010 when I was "like you" looking to make this effort as being a new Dad or Mom. You may want to check out even MY journal since the updates are pretty clear on how things have been.As far as your question; its really Trial and Error and sometimes you just follow what others say and it saves you lots of time. There are some Great People who are have come and visited this forum. Most importantly is the Water and Substrate. I find that in Petco you can get a box of Ocean Marine Salt Water mix. It will last you a really long time and you can make it up to a gallon at a time. Not that you need that much but it is easy to make. Just shake it up. The food is fun because your Hermies will actually let you know what their desires are. Stick with the list you have and don't be afraid to put fresh foods in there. The Cooked Egg yoke is a favorite and if you put it in at night, the next day you will see some gone. Then remove it as it goes bad quickly and stinky. The humidity is essential for them and as of now, I have it down to a science so I hope you will too. Don't give up and remember...they are messy so your habitat will most likely look like there was a "War" in there when they are Happy! Good luck to you...Babesbarn