ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Online Mites

Post by ladybug15057 »

Not actually a question, but a posting ....

First I would like to state I am not a believer in the shipping of hermies, but understand this is done at times.
But I am not a believer of shipping of hermies during the winter months, I have read too many horror stories of shipments gone wrong during the winter and frozen hermies.
However I also like to see information stated more on the factual side, as opposed to 'hearsay', he said she said situations as what has been happening quite a bit the last few months.
For this reason, I wrote to the company myself and asked about the mite out break that was recently mentioned on another site. Here is my letter and the reply I just received:

from Marie (aka ladybug15057)
to customerservice@xxxxxxxxxx
date Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM
subject Hermit crab order

I am writing in regards to a statement that has been made on a new hermit crab forum. The last few months the information that has been passed along has been proven not to be accurate and why I am writing directly to you. The statement is:

"Okay, well here's some more information. I have found out through some of my other information sources that LHC has recently had a very bad outbreak of mites, so I would check the crabs very carefully when they do arrive. That is THE LAST thing you want in a tank your size.'

Thank you for any insight to this matter.

Marie (aka ladybug15057)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from Live Hermit Crabs
to "Marie (aka ladybug15057)"
date Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM
subject Re: Hermit crab order

Hi Marie,

Unfortunately, we received a shipment from our exporter and the strawberries had mites. We were not aware as they were closely inspected and none were seen.. I spoke to my exporter and he advised that crabs can come from the wild with mites, and these were collected shortly before they were shipped to me. We went and ordered 200,000 of the predatory mites and added them to our habitats to ensure the mite issue would be resolved. We shipped this past week, and did 2x salt water baths to be sure we didnt see anything prior to shipping. All were clean. This has been very disappointing to me as I have worked very hard to regain trust in livehermitcrabs com since I took over the business.

Thank you,
Customer Service
LiveHermitCrabs.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do note too however, it is stated on their page:
WE OFFER GUARANTEED LIVE DELIVERY ON OVERNIGHT ORDERS ONLY. WE DO NOT HAVE A GUARANTEE DURING THE WINTER MONTHS (NOVEMBER 1ST THROUGH MARCH 31ST). WE SHIP WITH 24 HOUR HEAT PACKS, AND 48 HOUR WHEN NEEDED.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Re: Online Mites

Post by ladybug15057 »

I had done the posting above about 10 months ago (December 2010)

Another update about livehermitcrabs.com
It appears that still this month they are shipping hermit crabs, and they are still infested with mites. They are advising customers AFTER their order, (within their order really) to keep them iso'ed and bath them with double strength ocean water for 5 days to kill the mites. The straws have them too, and these mites usually cannot be killed by ocean baths due to how straws favor ocean/sea water. If anybody remembers Julia_Crab had bought straws with mites and could not get rid of them and why she invested in the Hypoaspis Mites.
Unfortunately livehermitcrabs.com are aware and have been about the mites but still continue to sell them to the innocent crabber/public. :( After all this time something possibly should be noted on their site?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Does anyone have recent dealings with livehermitcrabs.com

Post by arhoads »

I placed an order on last Friday and they say my crabs will ship on April 2nd. I'm kinda bumbed because I told them the weather this week was perfect, in the 70-80 and next week it will only be in the 60's here. Anyway, I've seen some not so good reviews of people not getting crabs or refunds and people having mites. Most of these were really old reviews so I'm hoping someone has more recent dealings with them and can ease my mind. :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sorry to say, but cannot ease your fears. :( Please read above, and this link just done in February this year:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... mpost24084

As of last week, their batting average is still way below par. If possible just get your money back...

P.S. if you type livehermitcrabs.com in the search bar in the upper right corner, more threads about this site will come up...
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

Thanks, I don't know what to think. Some people say they've had no problems others despise them. Anyway, I checked my debit card and the money that was set aside for the order has been returned so I don't know what is going on. I emailed them, I'll let you guys know if I ever receive my crabs or what is going on.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

Just got my crabs today, a couple of days earlier than they had predicted. They still have a note saying that they may have mites, that the supplier treated them as well as LHC. Anyway, they look great, I'm gonna keep them in ISO and watch for mites though. They are very active and they even gave me an extra E. My PP (Vern) is so happy to a have a friends again. Sadly, Artie died during his first molt only a week after we got him. Petland sucks and I won't buy ANYTHING from them again. It's funny to watch Vern climb all over the new additions. He really ticked off Lady(the new E) and she started chirping like crazy at him, its the first time I've heard them "talk" before!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

:S
Anyway, they look great, I'm gonna keep them in ISO and watch for mites though. My PP (Vern) is so happy to a have a friends again. It's funny to watch Vern climb all over the new additions.
If they are in iso, how is Vern able to be in contact with them? :S Vern should not be in contact either until it is known no mites, and the newbies are able to adjust to captive living. (having food, shells, water, etc. provided so not to be aggressive for these things)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

When I got them I had to coax them out of the bag. Lady was the first one out and I placed her in a secure play area and let Vern out. That was kinda dumb of me.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Purple pinchers »

Now vern and the other crabs could all have mites (if the new crab had them) I would give vern and any of the old crabs a bath in salt water just to be on the safe side.
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I would give vern and any of the old crabs a bath in salt water just to be on the safe side.
Typically this would be great advice, but with the mites being sold out of LCH the ocean water bath hasn't been working. (not for the owner of LHC or the buyers). They are needing to buy the Hypoaspis Mites.

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=11
Marie (aka ladybug15057)