lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Naked!!!!

Post by lilhoney42380 »

I've had this E since August and over the past few days he's been in a new corner of the tank not moving very much. Today when I went down to where the crabitat is he was totally naked and his shell was over on the other side of the tank. Before I left I sectioned him off with the shell.

Please don't make me answer your list of questions just tell me what else I should do.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Re: Naked!!!!

Post by ZuZu »

this reminds me of the time one of mine went naked and had to hide under the water dish to avoid being eaten :( i found him surrounded by the others, so what I did was put all the other crabs in a different tank and left the naked one in my main tank, for fear of hurting the poor guy when I picked him up. I put the shells near him so he would have many choices and left him alone for the night. he was back to normal and let the others back into the tank. of course this also might be an unfortunate surface molter in which you should keep him in a sectioned off part of the tank with shells, food, and water, if you put a coco-hut over him he would feel more comfortable. for the food I would suggest cuttle bone and lots of protein ( I know people who suggest honey also but have no idea what it is good for :P ) I hope he pulls through OK, mine did. :D

,Good Luck :)
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I did a search and do see where you had answered the list of questions. They were also replied to with recommendations.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3847&p=32266#p32266

Did you make the recommended adjustments? If you have not done the recommended adjustments please do so ASAP and hopefully it is not too late.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

Well he died overnight. I started out with 2 in July and then got 3 more in August. 1 of the ones I got in July died and 2 of the ones I got in August have died. I'm so over these things! They were really interesting at first but all they do is die!! Does PetSmart or Petco adopt Hermies from people?!
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

I disagree with the "all they do is die" part but they can be challenging to care for sometimes (not to mention expensive) but please DO NOT donate your crabs to a pet store they usualy have not so good conditions, maybe you can give them to someone you know who can care for them.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with ZuZu in regards to hermies being a challenge to keep as well as a little on the expensive side. But once the initial criteria is bought, they are not that expensive to keep... but can still be a bit of a challenge.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I read your answers to our questions and you don't appear to be doing anything particular wrong. Perhaps your hermit crabs already suffered irreversible damage to begin with? I've had a few die under my care (most who tried moulting for the first time in captivity) not long after taking them home. If they manage to survive their first moult under your care, they should be able to live on for much longer.

If you've decided to that hermit crabs are not for you, please put them up for adoption. Contact Marie (ladybug15057) or leave a message here and she'll guide you through the process.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

There maybe a chance it could be PPS, but the E hermie was brought home the beginning of August.
E hermies are dependent on a proper ocean/sea mix mixed properly.
How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about? PP since July, E's since beginning of August.

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water? HGH Hermit Crab salt.
3 months is a spell for an E hermie to go without a proper ocean/sea mix.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhoney42380 »

So what mix should I have used?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

One of the ones listed under "Recommended" in the Crab Care Section:

http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... r/salt.php

Not from the list on the right under "Not Recommended".
Marie (aka ladybug15057)