good care if leaving town?

Questions about crabsitting and transporting hermit crabs.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: good care if leaving town?

Post by emmac350 »

The pill box is a great idea from that page, Marie - it takes the guesswork/drudgery out of picking what to feed the crabs on any given day. You don't need to have a pill box if you have small bags labelled with food, but still - it means that all the hermie-sitter has to do is dump a pre-labelled container's worth of food into a bowl.

The longest I left my hermies at one time was two weeks, BUT there were a few reasons it worked okay:

1. I only had two of them in a 10g tank
2. They were both dug under, molting, when I left
3. The apartment heat was set to 70F, meaning their room was about 69F, which kept their metabolisms down a bit
4. My roommate was able to turn on their heat light for the first few and last few days of my being gone (this was Christmas break and she left a few days after me and returned a few days before)
5. I covered the top of the tank with a towel so that the humidity would stay in and the water bowls wouldn't evaporate

It wasn't ideal, but I did come home to two freshly molted crabs who had scattered their food all over the tank!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Grandma Crabber »

I am new to crabbing but LOVE it! I am going on vacation for two weeks and plan to use the same person to "crabsit" that will keep my dog. The only problem is that this means a car trip, But I know he will do a good and conscientious job. The only other choice I have is to get a neighbor who will not be as careful but it will save them a trip in the car. Any suggestions about which would be better?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

How long will the car trip be?
Wai