hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Sick Hermie

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

My hermie Big Red has been acting odd lately. He hasn't reall been moving much, he's not really eating or drinking, and he is usually laying half out of his shell. I put him in his own iso and have been watching him but he doesnt move. I looked at him and in his shell ( from the way he's laying you can see in it) and noticed his tail is all bunched up and not properly in his shell. Could something have gone in there? Or somethin bothering him? I tried giving him a salt bath to see if anything would was out but there's nothing. :S
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Sick Hermie

Post by Wai »

He might be preparing to moult, but if not, he might be feeling ill or too hot. The temperature and humidity in your tank is fine? How long have you had Big Red for?
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

The humidity is about 70% and the temp is also about 70*. I have had Big Red since about late march.
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

The temperature is a bit low, unless Big Red has access to a warm end of about 82'F as well. Has Big Red moulted under your care before?
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

He has an access of a warm end being 80* and he has never molted before with me. I have thought of something that it could be but i'm unsure. I read somewhere that you can put "rollie pollie bugs" in their tank because they munch on mold and such to help clean the tank but dont bother the crabs. could one have accidentilly crawled in his shell and be causing discomfort?
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Some good news: He's starting to move around a little bit and I went to pick him up and noticed a molting sack so Ill be keeping my eye out and tomarow when I go back to my dads house I'm placing him back in a full iso instead of the temporary one I had him in. :)
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

UPDATE: He went back to being Lethargic and no movement what so ever. He hasn't been eating, drinking, or moving. There is no smell at all and he's still alive. He also just continues to hang out of his shell half way and wont go in at all. There is very little if not no antenae movement. Any more tips on what I can do? Im also planning on leaving thursday for four days for a vacation about 7 hours from here so there is no way I will be able to see him, So I have a care taker coming for the time i'm gone.