KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 8
Total tanks: 1

Changing from painted shells

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:40 Four days is not long at all; I would not be concerned about moulting unless you have not seen the hermit crab for at least four weeks. Just leave them as they are.
How can I encourage the crabs to change from their toxic painted shells they were bought in?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Re: Changing from painted shells

Post by Wai »

Please have a look at the Shells page.
Wai
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:37 Please have a look at the Shells page.
Thank you, I have boiled the shells also and yet they do not seem to want to change
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

You can offer plenty of unpainted versions of the shell that they are wearing already; they would have a higher chance of changing.
Wai
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 07:54 You can offer plenty of unpainted versions of the shell that they are wearing already; they would have a higher chance of changing.
I am not buying more shells, already put 7 shells in the habitat
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Species of hermies also have particular preferences when it comes to shells too, so be mindful of the type (species) of shell offered rather than the number offered. For example, PPs prefer O (rounded) shaped shells (like turbos) while Es like D (oblong) shaped shells like Babylonians.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

aussieJJDude wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 23:02 Species of hermies also have particular preferences when it comes to shells too, so be mindful of the type (species) of shell offered rather than the number offered. For example, PPs prefer O (rounded) shaped shells (like turbos) while Es like D (oblong) shaped shells like Babylonians.
Mine are Australian Land Hermit Crabs and I can see the new shells I bought do not have that spiral cone look
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Aussies tend to prefer shells with a D - shaped (oblong) opening, my crabs favourites would be pheasant, apple and sometimes tonna shells. They have also showed interest in moon snail shells in the past too.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

aussieJJDude wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 08:54 Aussies tend to prefer shells with a D - shaped (oblong) opening, my crabs favourites would be pheasant, apple and sometimes tonna shells. They have also showed interest in moon snail shells in the past too.
Their current shell are these, I believe they need this same shape? I have bought 5 new shells of this type praying they will use them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Yes, they do like that shape more than turbos. They are perhaps the next best type of shell if you can't find any Phasianella (pheasant) shells for them.
Wai